Good news for Man United! And it’s even more shocking than Pedro turning down Old Trafford

first_img Manchester United star Chris Smalling 1 Whisper it, but Chris Smalling is looking like a pretty good defender.The Man United star has been mocked plenty of times in the past. Even Louis van Gaal forgot his name and christened him Mike, but now the fun is over.The England international is finally proving his quality with some imperious displays alongside Daley Blind this season, and also at the tail end of the last campaign.Smalling is also showing exactly what he can do going forward, his driving runs from the back are, at the least, menacing and give opponents another problem as they look to stop the Red Devils.And after eating a little humble pie, Manchester United fans are hailing him as one of the best around.You can see what their fans said on Twitter below…last_img read more

Read More »

Jose Mourinho leaves Chelsea: All the best internet memes and reactions

first_img Jose Mourinho 1 [View the story “The best memes and vines as Mourinho is sacked by Chelsea” on Storify]center_img The internet went into meltdown on Thursday after the news that Jose Mourinho had been sacked by Chelsea.The club chose to cut their ties with the 52-year-old, duly ending his second spell at Stamford Bridge after an appalling start to the season which has seen them lose nine of their opening 16 Premier League games.Mourinho’s departure has divided opinion among ex-players and Chelsea icons alike, with talkSPORT presenter Jason Cundy backing the decision following a dreadful run of form.Twitter was the main source of the best reactions as the internet poked fun at Mourinho and the Blues – and some of the best of them are below:last_img read more

Read More »

Arsene Wenger confirms coaching role for another Arsenal Invincible

first_img Freddie Ljungberg Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Freddie Ljungberg is returning to Arsenal as a coach.The Swede spent nine years at Arsenal from 1998 to 2007, making over 300 appearances, and was part of the famous Invincibles side which went an entire Premier League season unbeaten.He is currently studying for his coaching A licence and will take up a role with the north London club to work with the Under-15 team as part of his development.“He [Ljungberg] wants to make his licence,” said Wenger.“They have to take care of a youth team and we are happy to give him a chance to do his license.”Ljungberg follows fellow Invincible Thierry Henry in taking up a coaching role with the Gunners.Henry has been working with the club’s Under-18 and Under-19 teams as he also works towards gaining his A licence. 1last_img read more

Read More »

Man United players have bored and angered me this season, admits Van Gaal

first_img Louis van Gaal Louis van Gaal admits his Manchester United players have driven him to boredom and anger at times this season.Van Gaal’s future as United boss will be thrown into question again on Tuesday if his team fail to win at Newcastle.United ended an eight-match winless run by defeating Swansea nine days ago and then followed that victory up with another triumph in the FA Cup against Sheffield United.Those wins have merely papered over the cracks, however. The pressure is still on Van Gaal because of the often dull and uninspiring performances of his team.Paul Scholes branded United’s style of play “boring” earlier this season and following Saturday’s 1-0 victory over Legue One opposition, the former club great claimed both Van Gaal and his players looked “bored” during the third round tie.Van Gaal has been at odds with Scholes for much of his 18-month spell at the club, but on Monday the 64-year-old conceded some of the football on display at Old Trafford this season has been rather dull.“There are matches that I have enjoyed,” Van Gaal said.“And there are also matches where I’m very bored or angry because we are not disorganising our opponent’s defence but that is football.”Van Gaal railed at the suggestion that his primary aim is to stifle the opposition, rather than attack.“Do you know that,” Van Gaal snapped during an edgy press conference at Carrington.“I am not concerned (about defending more than attacking).“At this moment we have a lack of creativity and you can see that but they have done it (played well in the past) so they can do it.”So why, after spending over a quarter of a billion pounds on new players, can Van Gaal not inspire his team to perform well on a regular basis?Is it because he refuses to come to the touchline in matches to bark orders at his players like Sir Alex Ferguson did?“I’m not Sir Alex, as you know,” said Van Gaal, who has rarely come to the touchline to speak to his players during his spell at the club.“Everybody is different and I don’t believe in yelling from the sidelines. I believe in communication during the week, during the preparation and I believe in my players who have to perform.“It’s very difficult because of the noise.“A lot of managers are (yelling from the sidelines) but I doubt if they have real influence.” 1last_img read more

Read More »

Man’s checks leave $300,000 of postage due

first_imgHe received the lower-priced postage for bulk mailing. “Usually our biggest customers, we know who they are – and they pay their bills,” Putnam said. “We don’t really see this kind of crime. This is very rare.” Owen isn’t talking to investigators. Awaiting a court appearance today, he is jailed at the Metropolitan Detention Center in downtown Los Angeles. “We know his business was in Torrance, but at this point we don’t know where he lives, and he won’t provide that information to us,” Putnam said. Federal authorities arrested Owen on Oct. 3 at his office at 370 Amapola Ave. Besides Nova Net Media, Owen also operated a firm called OG Investments, Putnam said. A company profile on the Internet says Nova Net Media provides management-consulting services. The profile says the business opened in 2001, does estimated annual sales of $3 million and employs 15 people. A grand jury indictment issued Sept. 28 charged Owen with five counts of theft of government property – more specifically that he “knowingly stole, purloined and converted to his own use property of the United States, that is, bulk mailing services provided by the U.S. Postal Service.” The indictment lists the amounts of his checks as $89,320, $65,097.65, $66,695.24, $63,807.44 and $22,319.22. The grand total: $307,239.55. In addition to a prison sentence, Owen also could be ordered to pay for stolen postage and additional penalties if he is convicted. “Hopefully, this arrest serves as a deterrent to others who would consider stealing from the Postal Service,” Inspector in Charge B. Bernard Ferguson said in a statement. “The Postal Inspection Service aggressively investigates crimes against the post office and is committed to bringing perpetrators to justice.” Putnam said people who walk up to a post office counter and bounce checks for smaller amounts also are prosecuted. “We know who you are. It’s your mail coming through,” Putnam said. “It doesn’t make any sense.” larry.altman@dailybreeze.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! TORRANCE: More than 1 million letters were delivered for company chief, but payments did not clear. By Larry Altman STAFF WRITER By the time Torrance businessman Kenneth Dewayne Owen made his fifth visit to a Long Beach post office last year, he had mailed more than 1 million letters. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityThe postage came to more than $300,000, and Owen wrote checks to cover the cost. The post office diligently delivered every letter. But when the Postal Service cashed Owen’s checks, they bounced, prosecutors said. Now, Owen, the 43-year-old president and chief executive officer of a company called Nova Net Media Inc., is sitting in a jail cell in Los Angeles, possibly facing 10 years in federal prison. “That is a lot of mail,” said Tracy Putnam, a postal inspector for the Postal Inspection Service. “We did our diligence. We delivered that mail in the belief that the funds were going to be good.” For about a week, Owen brought his boxes of mail to the back business loading dock of the Long Beach Processing and Distribution Center in September 2006, prosecutors said. last_img read more

Read More »

CARD PAYMENT MELTDOWN FURY IN DONEGAL

first_imgBUSINESSES and consumers are furious after a card payment meltdown in west Donegal.People trying to pay for goods and services haven’t been able to do so with laser or credit cards for THREE DAYS.And in a world where cards are fast replacing cash as the chosen method of payment, it’s causing serious hardship for businesses. “We have had to turn people away,” said one angry Dungloe businessman who contacted donegaldaily.com.“I’ve called the bank several times but they just say they are working to repair their systems.“It just shows how important card services are….we’ve lost an awful lot of business. And it has been hugely inconvenient for customers who have had to go to the post office to withdraw cash.”Even local petrol stations have had to erect ‘No Cards’ signs. But a breakdown in such services in not unusual. CARD PAYMENT MELTDOWN FURY IN DONEGAL was last modified: May 29th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More »

Real Madrid and Germany star responds when quizzed by Man City speculation

first_img Could Toni Kroos be on his way to the Premier League this summer? Real Madrid star Toni Kroos has responded to reports linking him with a move to Manchester City, with the midfielder admitting: ‘You should never rule anything out in football’.The Germany international has been linked with both City and Bayern Munich this summer, but is ignoring the speculation while he focuses on Euro 2016.Kroos, who lifted a second Champions League title with Real in May having previously won it with Bayern in 2013, has been linked with a move back to his former club following Carlo Ancelotti’s appointment as manager.However, he says he has not changed his mind about having turned his back on German football for good when he linked up with Ancelotti in Madrid in 2014.“I ruled out quite a while ago playing for a club in Germany again and this is still the case,” said the 26-year-old to Sport Bild magazine.Kroos has also been linked with a move to City and he would not rule out linking up with Pep Guardiola in the Premier League, but insisted his focus is currently elsewhere.“We’re in a tournament here where my total focus is on the semi-finals,” he said.“You know that you should never rule anything out in football, but I enjoy a great deal of respect from Real.” 1last_img read more

Read More »

‘Klavan our fourth choice is better than Man United’s first choice centre-backs’

first_img1 The 30-year-old made 31 appearances in the Bundesliga last season Liverpool have sealed their fourth signing of the summer transfer window.The Reds announced the signing of Ragnar Klavan for £4m from Bundesliga outfit Augsburg, who provides further cover at centre back for manager Jurgen Klopp.But many Premier League supporters have been asking: who?The 30-year-old isn’t quite the household name expected of a Liverpool signing, and so we’ve taken a look at how the club’s fans feel about his arrival.Check out their reaction below…last_img read more

Read More »

Free to good homes: trees and toilets

first_img “Basically, it’s subject to eligibility,” said Tom Gackstetter, the DWP’s manager of water conservation. If the house already has low-flush toilets, it’s not eligible for a free one. Notice I said house and not you. “The history remains with the house, not the homeowner,” Gackstetter explained. Homeowners may call (800) 203-7380 to find out their status. Follow the recorded prompts and be prepared to wait. You also have to be a DWP customer, too. The toilets are worth about $100, and installation is free. The ultra-low-flush toilet uses 1.6 gallons of water as opposed to 3.5 gallons for the the old style. Gackstetter says they do the job despite less water in the tank. “We’ve actually distributed thousands and we have a high degree of confidence that customers will be satisfied with the toilets they receive,” he said. The program also includes free toilet leak checks when shower heads and aerators are installed. If the toilet is leaking, the flapper will be replaced. For free, if the DWP’s universal flapper fits. And Gackstetter said their flappers fit most models. He also notes that it’s a good program for anyone selling a house because an ordinance amended in 1999 requires that ultra-low-flow toilets have to be installed before the close of escrow. The free trees come from the DWP’s power side of the business. Spokeswoman Kim Hughes said its open to both residents and businesses. Called Trees for a Green L.A., it features 40 different kinds of large and small shade trees. Participants have to take an online or neighborhood workshop on the nuts and bolts of tree planting to qualify. For example, you don’t want to put trees too close the home or sidewalk or where they will interfere with power lines, she said. Nor do you want to dig into utility or cable lines, either. The free trees will help cool the house in summer and help contain water runoff in the winter, Hughes explained. “It’s very popular. We’ve done about 8,000 trees this year (since last July.)” And about 40,000 have been planted since the program started in 2000. Hughes also said that anyone taking an old Christmas tree to one of 16 city recycling center by 4 p.m. today will receive a free seedling tree to plant. Hughes notes that for every tree planted, 81 kilowatts of power is saved annually. “They say that’s enough energy to keep a typical TV on 24 hours a day for seven days.” The phone number for this program is (800) 473-3652. More information about all the department’s programs is available at www.ladwp.com Gregory J. Wilcox, (818) 713-3743 greg.wilcox@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita If you plan on sprucing up your yard this year, the DWP will also give you up to seven trees. Free. It can sometimes be a jungle out there, but the free tree program will help Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa create that urban forest of 1 million trees he promised us. Of course there is a motive – water and power conservation – to the DWP largess. And the programs are funded out of the agency’s annual revenue, which ratepayers do contribute to. The bathroom makeover includes a free ultra-low-flush toilet – one for each bathroom you have – low-flow shower heads for every shower, and water-saving faucet aerators for all your faucets. Of course there are several catches. “Nothing” is the best price you’ll ever pay for anything. So in case you missed it, there was some cool free stuff in Wednesday’s Daily News in a Los Angeles Department of Water and Power advertisement. Now the DWP sometimes finds itself in hot water over how it spends its money. This is money well spent, though. Imagine getting a partial bathroom makeover. For free. But wait, there’s more. last_img read more

Read More »

Federer romps to a first-round victory

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita Istomin, a 19-year-old player from Uzbekistan, is ranked 195th. Playing in his first top-tier event, he had some highlights. He twice aced Federer in his opening service game and in the sixth game of the second set. He had eight aces overall, against only two for Federer. “I played good today, but had too many unforced errors,” said Istomin, who had 39 unforced errors. “It was very good for my career … he gave me seven games.” It was Federer’s second tour event since losing the final of the season-ending Masters Cup final to David Nalbandian at Shanghai, where he hobbled in on crutches because of an injured right ankle. He defended his title at Qatar two weeks ago and played in an exhibition tournament at Kooyong last week. Federer drew a near-capacity crowd to Rod Laver Arena for the first match of the day. While the crowd was cheering for Istomin to mount a comeback and extend the match, Federer finished it off with a service winner, then basked in a standing ovation. “It’s never really easy, first round in a Grand Slam,” said Federer, who met Istomin for the first time in the locker room before the match. “As long as I win, I’m happy it was a good start.” Tommy Haas, ther former No. 2-ranked player who upset Federer in the Kooyong exhibition last week, had a 6-2, 7-5, 6-2 win over 14th-seeded Richard Gasquet. Gasquet was one of only four players to beat Federer in 2005. No. 12 Dominik Hrbaty beat Austria’s Oliver Marach 3-6, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1, 6-3 and Juan Ignacio Chela ousted Andy Murray 6-1, 6-3, 6-3, leaving Britain without a player in the second round at Melbourne Park. French women Mary Pierce and Amelie Mauresmo advanced in contrasting fashion. Fifth-seeded Pierce, the 1995 Australian Open champion and a finalist at the French and U.S. Opens last season, breezed past local wild-card entry Nicole Pratt 6-1, 6-1 in 52 minutes. Mauresmo, the winner of the season-ending WTA Championship in November, struggled at times in a 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 win over China’s Sun Tiantian, a doubles gold medalist at the Athens Olympics. A longtime contender, Mauresmo’s best showing at a Grand Slam event was her runner-up finish here in 1999. Three-time Australian Open champion Martina Hingis was to resume her comeback from retirement against Russia’s Vera Zvonareva in a night match. Seventh-seeded Patty Schnyder beat Eleni Daniilidou of Greece 6-4, 6-3 and No. 12 Anastasia Myskina, the 2004 French Open champion, beat Ukraine’s Yuliana Fedak 7-6 (6), 6-1. Defending champion Serena Williams got a bit of a scare in the second set before dispatching 52nd-ranked Li Na of China 6-3, 6-7 (1), 6-2. Serena, on a 15-match winning streak at Melbourne Park after winning the title in 2003 and ’05 and skipping the ’04 tournament, will play Camille Pin in the next round. Pironkova, an 18-year-old Bulgarian ranked No. 94 entering the tournament, will play American Laura Granville. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!center_img MELBOURNE, Australia — Top-ranked Roger Federer easily advanced to the second round of the Australian Open today, beating wild-card entry Denis Istomin 6-2, 6-3, 6-2. Federer was broken once, when he was serving for the second set, and faced only three break points in the 83-minute match. The overwhelming favorite for the title, Federer lost only one point on his serve in the second set until he made three uncharacteristically erratic errors to give Istomin the break in the second-to-last game. last_img read more

Read More »