David Luiz accepts blame after his nightmare performance in Arsenal’s defeat to Manchester City

first_imgAdvertisement Comment David Luiz accepted the blame for Arsenal’s defeat to Manchester City (Sky Sports)David Luiz has accepted the blame for Arsenal’s defeat to Manchester City and admits he should have made an early decision over his contract situation with the Gunners.The 33-year-old, who was brought on as a first-half substitute for the injured Pablo Mari, was at fault for City’s opening goal as his inability to clear Kevin De Bruyne’s pass allowed Raheem Sterling to score from close range.But it got even worse for Luiz shortly after half-time as he gave away a penalty for bringing down Riyad Mahrez and was sent off in the 50th minute.De Bruyne converted the penalty to double City’s lead before a goal from Phil Foden wrapped up a 3-0 victory for Pep Guardiola’s side.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTAfter the match, Luiz insisted on speaking to the media and took the blame for Arsenal’s defeat, whilst he also accepted that he was at fault for allowing his contract situation to run down as his current deal is due to expire at the end of June.‘It’s not the team’s fault. It was my fault,’ Luiz told Sky Sports. David Luiz was sent off in the second half of Arsenal’s defeat to Man City (Getty Images)‘I take the decision to play, I should take a decision in the last two months but I didn’t.‘Today, I think the team did well, especially after the 10 men.‘The coach [Mikel Arteta] is amazing, all the players did amazing, it was my fault.‘I should have taken a different decision in the last two months, and I didn’t. Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 17 Jun 2020 11:31 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link504Sharescenter_img Advertisement David Luiz admits he’s been at fault for his contract situation at Arsenal (PA)More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘It was all about my contract, if I stayed here or not. I have 14 more days maybe here, and that’s it, so today was my fault.‘A different decision to decide my future to decide as early as possibly but I didn’t.‘I don’t want to use that as an excuse, it’s my fault, that’s it.‘I love to be here, that’s why I continue to train hard, that’s why I came here today, that’s why I tried to do everything, that’s why I’m here [explaining], that’s why I said to the players, ‘nobody help me to speak’, it’s me, I have to show my face and be here.‘I want to stay. The coach knows, the coach wants me to stay, we are waiting for the decisions.’Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page. David Luiz accepts blame after his nightmare performance in Arsenal’s defeat to Manchester Citylast_img read more

Read More »

Marcus Daniell, Koolhof win Brisbane International doubles title

first_imgBrisbane: New Zealand’s Marcus Daniell and the Netherlands’ Wesley Koolhof on Sunday claimed their maiden doubles title at Brisbane International after they defeated United States’ Rajeev Ram and Britain’s Joe Salisbury 6-4, 7-6(8-6).It took the Kiwi-Dutch duo an hour and 27 minutes to subdue the fourth-seeded American-British pair to secure a fourth career doubles title, reports Efe.“The feeling that we have had from the first practice here this week has been great, and just built on it match after match, and it is about as good of a start as you could ask for for the year and we’re just going to keep building on it,” Daniell said.The 29-year-olds Daniell and Koolhof first joined forces last year at the Queen’s Club Championships in London, winning 15 and losing 12 matches together.“We started together on the grass last year, and we had some good results, we had some bad results,” Daniell concluded. IANSAlso Read: Sports Newslast_img read more

Read More »

New Zealand Cricket apologises to Archer for racial abuse

first_imgWELLINGTON, New Zealand (Reuters) – New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief David White visited England’s Jofra Archer in his hotel yesterday to apologise for the racial abuse the fast bowler said he was subjected to in the first Test at Mount Maunganui.The England and New Zealand cricket boards both launched investigations on Monday after Archer reported racial abuse from a spectator to ground stewards at Bay Oval.White said he had offered assurances to Archer that there would be extra security to ensure there was no repeat when the second Test started in Hamilton on Friday. “I just had a good chat to him,” the NZC chief executive said in Hamilton.“I said that we were very sorry that he had to experience that in our country and we’re very disappointed, but he was very thankful I had made the effort to come see him.”Archer, who was born in Barbados and represented West Indies at Under-19 level, scored 30 runs on Monday to delay New Zealand’s innings and 65-run victory in the first Test. The 24-year-old then took to Twitter to say he had found it “a bit disturbing” to hear the racial insults coming from one person in the crowd.White said, if identified, the alleged perpetrator would be referred to the police and NZC would push for the person to be banned for life from attending cricket matches. “Our team is working closely with the team at Bay Oval just going through the security footage and trying to get as much information as we can and hopefully we’ll find the individual over the next day or so,” White added.New Zealand captain Kane Williamson, who lives close to the Bay Oval ground, said he would also seek out Archer to offer an apology. “It’s a horrific thing,” Williamson told Fairfax media.“In a country, and a setting where it is very much multi-cultural, it’s something we need to put to bed quickly and hope nothing like that ever happens again.” England team director Ashley Giles said the 24-year-old paceman had been affected by the incident but thought his team mates would offer him plenty of support.“The tweet that went out was obviously emotional. It hurts,” Giles said.“You know what our team is like, they’ll rally round him pretty well, but it’s a serious incident. He’s a young man making his way in the game and we don’t need this sort of thing.”last_img read more

Read More »

North Peace Airport considers leasing rate hikes

first_imgThe undisclosed increase was supposed to take effect on March 1st, but feedback from renters has prompted discussion with the North Peace Airport Services.Kandert says a firm number on the rate increase has yet to be established. Once the increased leasing fees take effect, the costs can be passed on to the consumer. But, Kandert says he doesn’t anticipate any significant fare-hikes, because airport fees represent only 4% of an airline’s operating cost. By Christine Rumleskie The North Peace Airport is looking at increasing its leasing fees soon.Acting Managing Director Mike Kandert confirmed on Wednesday that the airport is currently reviewing its leasing rates. – Advertisement -Kandert says it’s a fairly common practice for airports to adjust their leasing fees, based on the appraisal value of the land. The airport has recently undergone an appraisal, and Kandert says leasing fees will need to be bumped up.Currently, land rentals sit at 55 cents per square metre for serviced land, and 32 cents per square metre for unserviced land.Airport terminal space varies from $320 per square metre for counter space, to $132 per square metre for storage space.Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More »