Sports Briefs

first_imgPacquiao to return April 9 against Bradley LAS VEGAS (AP): Manny Pacquiao will return to the ring April 9 for the first time since losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr., and it will be against a familiar foe. Promoter Bob Arum said Wednesday that Pacquiao will fight Timothy Bradley at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for a third time in his first bout since losing a decision to Mayweather in the richest fight ever. Pacquiao re-injured a shoulder in that fight and was ineffective against Mayweather in dropping the unanimous decision. Technically, the fight with Bradley will be the rubber match of their three-fight series. However, most in boxing believe Pacquiao won the first fight in 2012 easily – the judges gave it to Bradley – and was largely dominant in the rematch, which he won by decision. Top rank spokesman Lee Samuels said the pay-per-view fight has not officially been signed, but that both fighters had agreed to terms and would be signing soon. Pacquiao was given a $2 million advance on his guaranteed $20 million purse, Samuels said. Messi scores in 500th game for Barca BARCELONA, Spain (AP): Lionel Messi scored in his 500th match for Barcelona to help them ease past Real Betis 4-0 on Wednesday and ensure they kept the lead of the Spanish league to conclude a superb year for the Catalan club. Barcelona broke a run of consecutive draws in the league to cap one of their best years in club history. Before kick-off Andres Iniesta paraded the recently won Club World Cup trophy, their fifth title won in 2015. The four goals scored took the year’s tally to 180, bettering Madrid’s milestone of 178 from 2014. “It was a spectacular year, and we wanted to finish it in the same way,” Messi said. “It will be complicated to better this, but like always we will try to do so.” Messi recovered from a hard knock with Antonio Adan that was ruled a penalty against the Betis goalkeeper, by scoring Barcelona’s second goal, after an own goal put the Catalan side on its way. CAS rejects appeal from Musa Bility LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP): The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed Musa Bility’s appeal to overturn his exclusion from the FIFA presidential election. Bility, who is from Liberia, failed to make the field after failing an integrity check. FIFA’s election monitoring panel ruled the Liberian football federation president ineligible last month. No reason was publicly given, but Bility said a previous criminal allegation against him was dismissed by a Liberian court. CAS says it will release the grounds for its decision early this year. FIFA has approved five candidates for the election to be held on February 26. Michel Platini, who has been handed an eight-year ban but still hopes to run for FIFA presidency, is also expected to appeal to CAS. Monfils out of Hopman Cup with leg injury PERTH, Australia (AP): Gael Monfils has withdrawn from the Hopman Cup mixed team event due to an unspecified leg injury and will be replaced by French compatriot Kenny de Schepper. It was not clear whether the injury would prevent the 24th-ranked Monfils from competing in the Australian Open beginning January 18 in Melbourne. Hopman Cup tournament director Paul Kilderry said yesterday “it’s unfortunate to hear Gael is unable to play in Perth … we wish him well over the next couple of weeks ahead of the Aussie Open.” De Schepper and his partner Caroline Garcia play their first match Monday against the Britain team of Andy Murray and Heather Watson. Serena Williams and Jack Sock open for the United States, also on Monday, against Elina Svitolina and Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine.last_img read more

Read More »

Mental tests set for bridge fire suspect

first_imgNORWALK – The trial of a homeless man accused of intentionally starting a fire that destroyed the Beverly Boulevard bridge was delayed Wednesday in Norwalk Court due to doubts over the man’s mental competence. Nelson Gastelum, 29, is charged with one felony count of recklessly starting the Nov. 1 fire. He was arrested Nov. 4. He had been living under the bridge, which spans the Rio Hondo channel between Pico Rivera and Montebello, for a year, authorities said. “My client is unable to assist in his own defense,” Roberto Guaderrama, Gastelum’s attorney, said Wednesday. Guaderrama asked for a suspension of criminal proceedings until his client’s mental status could be determined. To bolster his request, Guaderrama pointed to Gastelum’s history of mental illness, which his family testified to during his preliminary hearing on Dec. 19. At that time, Gastelum’s brother, Mario Gastelum, testified his brother was “different.” Other relatives testified that they knew Gastelum was living under a bridge. At the time of his arrest, Gastelum told police he had lighted a fire to keep warm. But at his arraignment, he pleaded not guilty, claiming that another homeless man ignited the blaze by tossing a burning cigarette under the bridge. Norwalk Court Judge Larry S. Knupp granted the suspension of Gastelum’s trial for six weeks while the defendant undergoes evaluation by two psychiatrists. A hearing was scheduled for April 4 in Norwalk Court, at which the psychiatrists will report their findings regarding Gastelum’s fitness to stand trial, said Guaderrama. pam.wight@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More »